skip to Main Content
The Main Causes Of Mold In Your Home

The Main Causes of Mold in Your Home

It’s not uncommon to find mold in your home, but you should act quickly to remove it before it spreads into other areas. Visible mold cases won’t be hard to spot, with their velvet-like textures and black, brown, yellow or green color.

Mold will usually grow in dark, damp areas which can include a number of areas within your home. If it’s left to sit in any of these areas, it can cause health issues to those exposed like coughing, itchy eyes and throat, headaches and even respiratory infections and asthma with long-term exposure.

One of the best ways to prevent mold is to know what causes it. So here are the main causes of mold in your home.

Main Causes of Mold in Your Home

The-Main-Causes-of-Mold-in-Your-Home
With the right temperature and amount of oxygen, mold can grow and spread easily into many areas of the home

While it can grow just about anywhere, mold is most commonly found in cabinets, basements, near pipes and ducting areas, bathroom and kitchens. It only requires moisture and an organic source of cellulose to develop and spread throughout your home.

One of the most common areas for mold to hide is behind drywall, due to its surrounding areas of cotton, wood, and drywall that provide it with a food source. Ceiling mold is also a common issue due to the accumulation of moisture and lack of ventilation.

With the right temperature and amount of oxygen, mold can grow and spread easily into other areas of the home.

Here are the main causes of mold in your home.

  1. Humidity issues

If you live in a humid area, like on the coast or near a lake or pond, mold is a common issue as its only natural for it to develop with high moisture content in the air. Mold will normally grow in dark closets, under the kitchen sink, and on walls and ceilings.

  1. Accumulation of Condensation

During the wintertime, homes will often have condensation built up on a number of surfaces with the temperature fluctuations. These will often include concrete surfaces, metal piping, brick walls and floor tiles.

If you notice this issue in your home, make sure to allow for proper air flow throughout each room by turning on your HVAC system, opening all doors and even run a few fans throughout the home. If not, these condensation pockets will allow mold to grow and spread throughout the home, consuming the building structure until its removed properly.

  1. Leaking Roof

Old and/or damaged roofing is never a good mix with heavy rain and storms. As moisture will often seep in through small holes and cracks, mold can easily prosper in these areas. Even a slow leak can lead to an accumulation of moisture within your attic or ceiling, which can eventually lead to mold growth on the ceiling boards and on walls.

Be sure to inspect your attic or ceiling tiles of mold or even musty smells as they are often common signs of mold issues.

  1. Poor Ventilation

Ventilator filters
Poor ventilation will easily allow for the buildup of moisture within the home

Just as moisture is the prime ingredient needed for mold growth, poor ventilation will easily allow for the buildup of moisture within the home, allowing mold spores to gather and feed on the building materials.

Stagnant air is also a great environment for mold to thrive, so make sure to get rid of it as quickly as possible. The steam produced from cooking, bathing and appliances also creates humidity, leaving condensation on the walls, floors, ceilings, and other surfaces.

If you remove the moisture from your home, you will reduce the chances of mold.

  1. Home Flooding

Mother Nature certainly never shows any mercy during floods. Floods first destroy your building materials and belongings with water, then a growing fungus eats away at the remains of what’s left.

It’s likely for your home to take days and possibly weeks to dry out after a flood, so mold is very common after suffering mold damage. What makes this situation dangerous is that the mold will irritate a lot of allergies and some cases of mold may be toxic.

Even after your home is completely dried out, it is recommended to bring in a mold testing and mold remediation expert to clear out any remaining mold growth.

  1. Wet and Damp Clothing

If you’ve just ran a load of clothes in the washing machine, take them out to dry right away instead of leaving them in the machine. If the clothes are left to sit for the full day, they can begin to smell like mildew.

Also don’t forget to pick up any damp or wet clothing lying around the house as they create a great living environment for mold to thrive. Always remember to hang up your clothes.

  1. Foundation Dampness

If your home sits on a landscape that slopes away from your home, you may be in trouble for a mold problem. Garden moisture and rainwater can slowly pool and trickle down the foundation of your home, which can also lead to mold issues.

Professional Mold Remediation

Professional Mold Remediation
ServiceMaster Fire and Water Restoration is available to provide mold remediation in the Denver, CO area

The best way to prevent mold is to know what causes it. But of course, there’s no guaranteed way to ensure it won’t grow and spread in your home.

If you ever do discover mold, don’t hesitate to contact a mold removal professional. ServiceMaster Fire and Water Restoration is available to provide mold remediation in the Denver, CO area and we will respond quickly and set up a containment chamber to prevent it from spreading.

Then using professional products and equipment, we will remove it at the source. We can also provide water damage restoration services for areas affected by water damage or a leak, helping to prevent the mold from returning in the future.

After removing the mold, we will work with your insurance provider – if you filed a claim – through the claims process for additional peace of mind.

Contact ServiceMaster Fire and Water Restoration

For professional mold removal services in the Denver, CO area, contact ServiceMaster Fire and Water Restoration today.

Back To Top
Call (303) 791-6000